One of the best known accountancy firms in Huddersfield, Sheards was founded in 1903. Sheards is a name you can trust. A local heritage brand that has truly embraced modern accountancy practices and changed with the times.
But what is the Sheards history?
In 1903, Fred Sheard founded the firm of accountants that still bears his name. He worked from offices in 5 and 6 Kirkgate Buildings, Huddersfield, just across from the Packhorse centre. He was joined by his two sons Ernest and Percy, who were trained by their father. The firm became Fred Sheard & Sons.
Fred Sheard died in 1931, aged 58 and Ernest and Percy continued the family firm. In the 1950’s they were joined by Fredrick Sheard, son of Ernest, and Michael Dyson, becoming Chartered Accountants.
In the 1970’s Richard A Sheard, Percy’s son and Brian Butterworth became partners. In 1984 the firm acquired JP Davidson & Co.
In 1984, Lynne, our long standing receptionist joined Sheards. Lynne is still supporting our clients and the team as our receptionist.
In 1985, Carolyn Atkinson joined Sheards and in 1987 the firm moved out of Kirkgate Buildings, to the current location at Vernon House, on New North Road, Huddersfield.
Pat Messenger, our longest standing accountant, joined the Sheards fold in 1989 and a week later, Kevin Winterburn was taken on as an apprentice.
Sheards remained in family ownership until 2002 when Kevin and Carolyn took over the reins as partners of the firm. They are supported by their 15-strong staff members.